Over the past decade, the number of data breaches in the U.S. has risen over 151% from 662 data breaches in 2010 to 1,001 data breaches in 2020.
Affecting more than 155.8 million individuals, the need to safeguard sensitive data and network security is at an all-time high. Amongst the two leading causes of data breaches are system security complexity (compounded by a lack of in-house expertise) and cloud migration errors.
|Discover More Ways to Keep Your Data Safe from Hackers and Employee Mistakes by Checking Out these Articles:|
In addition to business continuity management and incidence response plan testing, penetration testing services provide a comprehensive security assessment of your organization (regardless of network size and complexity) that can identify vulnerabilities before they evolve into costly incidents.
For the best information about penetration testing pricing and applications, this article covers
- What penetrating testing is
- The cost of a penetration test
Major factors that influence that average penetration testing cost.
What is Penetration Testing?
Penetration testing, also known as a pen test or ethical hacking, analyzes a network’s environment to identify and exploit vulnerabilities (like coding errors) as a hacker would.
In short, application penetration testing seeks to discover security weak points in order to better improve security. In addition to network penetration testing, other types of penetrating testing exist, such as:
- Wireless Penetration Testing – Identifies wireless network security weak points, like unsecured access points and weak passwords.
- Web Applications Penetration Testing – Tests web applications for vulnerabilities such as seeing if unauthorized users can modify data and steal logged-in user sessions and data.
- Physical Penetration Testing – A dedicated pen tester team attempts to discover physical breach points, such as trying to bypass locks, keycard readers and cameras.
- Social Engineering Penetration Testing – Identifies human vulnerabilities in network and web application security by attempting to fool employees into divulging network access and passwords, therefore, also revealing weak points.
- Custom Reporting – White or black box penetration testing detailed with custom vulnerability scan options and actionable reports.
For any organization accepting, processing, storing, or transmitting credit card information, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) demands the maintenance of a secure environment and requires both internal and external penetrating tests for compliance.
|See How Much a Penetration Would Cost Your Organization|
How Much Does Penetration Testing Cost?
There are a number of factors that influence the average cost of a pen test price.
So how much does a pen test cost?
On average, penetration testing pricing ranges between $15,000 to $30,000.
The five main factors that influence penetrating testing services and prices include:
- The complexity of applications, databases, servers, IP addresses etc
- Penetration testing team experience and size
- Methodology (penetration testing strategies and equipment used)
- The depth of remediation required
- Onsite (test includes: physical and social engineering) vs remote penetration testing
With such variable factors, it’s evident small business owners with less complex networks can expect to pay less for the cost of penetration testing than medium-sized to large enterprises
Here’s how Penetrating testing pricing is usually scoped:
|Scope||Externally facing applications||Internal testing and external testing small to medium business||Network, Web application, wireless, and social engineer|
|Company Size||N/A||(Less than 300 employees)||(More than 300 employees, multiple locations)|
|Timeframe||2 weeks||4-6 weeks||10 weeks|
|Description of testing||Testing done remotely||Testing done remotely||Much of the testing performed on site|
|Deliverables||Report and an hour presentation||Report and several presentations||High level Executive report and more detailed technical report, scan results, and several presentations|
|Price||$4-6k per application||$20-30k||$40-60k|
Improve Security with the Top Penetration Testing Company
The cost of a penetration test pays for itself when you consider how the average data breach cost in the United States was $8.64 million in 2020.
While many factors impact pentesting price, the rising demands to protect the data of companies, employees, and consumers (accelerated by compliance mandates and the need to combat evolving cybersecurity threats) negate the pricing of a penetration test.
If you haven’t taken the time to identify vulnerabilities across your organization, perhaps now is the time for penetration testing. As one of the leading U.S. penetration companies with more than 45 years of combined experience, CP Cyber helps organizations close security gaps to stay protected against cyber threats before they impact your business.
Getting the Best Value and Penetration Testing Pricing by Choosing the Right Cyber Security Provider
At CP Cyber, we employ the best cyber security experts in the US. Our talented team boasts former experience in the military forces, NSA and FBI. We’re more than equipped to thoroughly test the strength of your network security and find any gaps that may exist
For more information regarding our penetrating testing cost, contact us today. We can ask questions to gather information to provide you with a bespoke estimate or proposal.